lune

lune

15.4.16

naturel

chloe spring 2016
chloe spring 2016
stop running after the waves let the sea come to you



hello there.
 
today i'm feeling inspired by the makeup at chloé's
spring/summer 2016 show; smudged eyeliner + curled lashes, natural puckered lips,
brushed up, undone eyebrows.
 
& a quote that has resonated with me lately.

as a teenager, i was always on the outsides of certain cliques.
whether i was in or out depended almost entirely on the whims of my
classmates. i was the one with acne and glasses, and i felt like i was
at their mercy. i felt uncool. i never felt quite good enough to stand on my own
two feet, and own who and what i was.
in short, i trained myself to feel ashamed of who i was.

it's funny how my high school mentality has stayed with me into my late twenties.
i still feel like that uncool kid, the one who tried way too hard, the one who
wanted other peoples approval.

i find myself, even now, trying too hard to sound interesting when talking to people.
i talk too much, too fast. i say things that, in retrospect, i shouldn't have.
it's a culmination of years & years of conditioning myself to believe that
i'm not pretty, therefore no one likes me and no one will listen to me.
i talk too much because i feel like the other person will quickly tire of me
and stop listening. like their interest will wane, and they will agree with the masses:
yes, she is uncool, she's not worth the attention.

i try and tell myself, now, that i am a different person. my skin has
cleared up, the glasses are gone. but that 'i have acne, i am hideous' mentality
has never quite escaped me. in a way, i hope this blog can help me
recapture that essence of who i am, & the style and aura i have always
wanted to radiate, but never quite figured out how.

but most of all, i hope this process will help to remind me that the only
person i need to impress is myself. the only person whose opinion matters
 is my own.

so if that means holding my tongue when i'm way too excited to say something
(inevitably i will stumble over my words) then so be it.
if you don't say something funny or smart, it doesn't mean that you are neither.
it's an attitude of calmness that i need to instill in myself.
an attitude that says: you don't need to impress anyone.
you are enough.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment